Putting you to sleep is one of my favorite times of the day. Not because it means I'm "off" active duty, but because we generally share some precious moments. To be able to fall asleep either dad or I lay next to your bed and you hold our ear. Lately you've discovered my scar and have been rubbing it, then you just put your hand on my chest to touch my skin for a while, then move back to my ear before you fall asleep.
I can tell as you're falling asleep because your grip on my ear gets lighter and lighter until gently your hand falls away from my ear and onto the pillow. BUT you don't always fall asleep in a timely manner. Sometimes dad or I have to leave the room and let you cry for just a minute so you know we mean business and that it is bedtime. We HATE listening to you cry, but you understand what we mean and get in the right mindset to fall asleep.
The last few days as I've put you down, we'll lay there and then you break out into the actions for "Popcorn Popping" starting with "make a treat, a popcorn ball that would smell so sweet, it wasn't really so, but it seemed to me, popcorn popping on the apricot tree." As you finish you clap your hands and then go back to my ear. It is one of those moments that makes me so happy to be your mom.
We've had people say, "don't you just wish you could lay her down and she'd go to sleep?" I use to wish that, but I've realized you're growing too fast (You've grown an inch since Thanksgiving!!!) and I won't get to have these moments forever. So, I'm happy to lay with you to put you to sleep.
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment