Sunday, August 30, 2009

DOCTORS


So this 7 week break has been a break to visit the doctor, but not just your normal doctor. I started the break with an appointment with Dr. Biddulph my orthopedic surgeon. The Physical Therapist recommended that I make an appointment and check the plates and screws in my arm. He suggested this because I had been telling him that it felt like my muscle was catching on something, and he guessed it was a screw backing out... eek! Off to Dr. Biddulph's I went! They did x-rays and when he walked in the room he said "My Kara! I am so glad you are here! How are things?" He was so cute and so concerned about what was going on in my life, and it was a genuine concern. After looking at the x-rays, moving my arm around, and feeling the screws he told me that my arm was great. He said that the x-rays "couldn't look better." He thinks that what I have been feeling is just scar tissue bands breaking. YEA!!! A good report!
The next doctor I got to visit was Dr. James (Aunt Sherry and Valerie's recommendation), a Podiatrist. My foot has been bugging me since last September, on the outside of my big toe, where it connects to the main part of my foot. In December when I came home from school I went to Dr. Clinger and had x-rays taken but he said that my foot was fine, that I just walked funny on it. Well since it was still hurting I begged mom to take me to someone! Mom picked up the x-rays from Dr. Clinger's office and we went and visited Dr. James. He walked in the room, looked at my x-rays and said "You have a fractured Tibial Sesamoid." That is one of the bones right under your ball of your foot. Some people have it naturally split in 2, (very rare) but it is a smooth line between not dark and ridged like the x-ray was showing of mine. Also he said that I have a small boney growth on the outside of that area. Remember these x-rays are from last DECEMBER! All I could think was AWESOME! He said that there were two things that we could do and he suggested them in this order 1. a Cortisone shot to relieve the pain and possibly fix the problem, and 2. surgery. We did the shot to start with. Wow, a Cortisone shot hurts bad! I had the shot last Monday, and he said if it was going to work I would notice a difference in the first couple of days to two weeks. Well this has been an interesting week in the life of my foot! The shot helped the pain on the outside of my foot but it shifted to where the break is, shooting into my toe and my arch sometimes. So I have another appointment this Wednesday to discuss surgery. LUCKY!
On a brighter note I move back to school on Labor Day and start on the 10th! I am so excited. This semester I am taking 16 credits and am really excited. I only have 4 books left to get, so far I have only spent $80 so I am hoping that the last major one won't be too expensive, hopefully I can borrow it from someone!

No comments: