Sunday, July 22, 2012

Gallbladder Surgery

This past Tuesday I had my gallbladder out. Emery has done really well going to bed about 11:30 but she decided she didn't want to go to sleep until 2 a.m. Tuesday morning. It was a short night's sleep as we were up at 4 getting ready to go to the surgical center; we had to be there at 5. Emery slept through us putting her in her car seat so that was nice. We got there at 5, I checked in and we waited. A while later they called me back and had my mom, Jared and Emery wait in the waiting room. When they brought them back they were surprised to find me already in the bed with my IV going and just waiting for surgery. (Jared was happy because he missed the IV but was totally expecting to come back and watch it put in). The anesthesiologist and the dr. came and talked to us, asked us if we had any questions and then told them they would let them know when I was done. 
They wheeled me back into the OR and had me move onto the operating table (that was strange) then the anesthesiologist asked me if I wanted to have some fun and handed me the syringe to push in my own anesthesia... I kindly declined and he had the nurse do it. My ears started humming/buzzing and it wasn't long before I was asleep. Of course the next thing I remember is going in and out in the recovery room as I was waking up. Jared and my mom said the Dr. came out at 6:50 and told them he was done and they were pleasantly surprised as I wasn't even supposed to go in for 10 minutes-it took a lot of worrying off of their shoulders. My face itched soooo bad but no one could itch it right- it made me mad because I couldn't seem to figure out how to make my arms work to get it myself. Also my throat hurt because of the tube that was in it during surgery, the ice chips just weren't doing it for me. 

It seemed like too quickly but they wanted me to get up and walk... I was still so tired and couldn't keep my eyes open! They got me up and I was dizzy but they got me walking straight to the bathroom-which is what they were hoping for. They then moved me into a different room to sit in a recliner. There was a little boy in that room too who was funny to listen to as he was coming out he said things like "Where is the anesthesiologist... I want to know how high I counted," "The anesthesiologist said I could do it.... I can be one..." and "I know I am not Yoda but can I use the force?" While we sat and listened my mom fed Emery (I had pumped and froze ahead because of pump and dump for 24 hours), and I was starving so they brought me chicken broth. After I kept the broth down for a while they let me have pudding-it tasted sooo good. I just kept wanting more but they made me wait each time to make sure I would keep it down. 





I just wanted more pudding but they made me wait for it!



Sweet Emery sleeping on Granma. 

We finally got to go home and I slept off and on in the recliner all day. I wanted to hold Emery but knew I couldn't because of 1. me being sooo tired and 2. it hurting my incisions that first day. It was nice though to know she was in good hands and have her still in the same room. 

The next few days consisted of me walking, and sleeping, and feeding Emery when I finally could. Jared did video for a wedding on Friday so it was nice to have my mom around so we weren't home alone. We loved having my mom here to help out and we were sad to see her go this morning-but we will be in Idaho this week because Jared is doing video for another wedding on Saturday. :)

Enjoy the Journey.

No comments: