Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Dear Girlie,

Last week you had a rough morning, (turns out we were both sick starting that afternoon) and didn't want to go down for your nap. Everything was terribly sad and would make you cry.

As I laid next to you in bed I started singing "I am a Child of God" to you and you started to calm down. As I finished the verse you said, in a terribly sad begging voice, "I... I..." asking me to sing it again. I think I ended up singing it fifteen or so times but you finally fell asleep.

I'm thankful for your love of music and especially of church songs already. You love to sing songs several times a day, and we know when we mention it we're going to have to sing every single one of the ones that you know.

I'm also thankful for those quiet moments when I get to lay with you while you're falling asleep. I know sometimes I feel frustrated because your taking longer than normal to fall asleep, but I quickly remind myself that I am your mother, and it is my greatest privilege to get to do things like this. So thank you Girlie, for letting me put you to sleep, for tapping the pillow next to you after you'll only give dad a hug, and telling me "nigh, night" because you want it to be me to put you to sleep, and you think if you give me a hug before I lay down that I'll leave.

Thank you for teaching me to slow down and enjoy the moments, and not get too caught up in the everyday routine.

I love you Girlie.

Love,

Mom

No comments: