"A Well Rounded Profession"
I am officially a graduate from BYU-Idaho with a degree in Family and Consumer Sciences Education. As my husband and many friends have been returning to school for another semester I have been thinking about my time spent on my education. Truth is I wouldn't change my degree for anything. I have become who I am through what I have studied. I have learned more things than I ever could have imagined about many different subjects. I often get "Now what was it that you graduated in?" To which I reply the name of my major and get a blank stare. Then I continue on with how they changed the name of Home Economics over TEN years ago, people just don't realize it. So then I get the "Oh you got an MRS. degree." No, I did not. I got a degree that I can educate your children. I can teach them how to do all of the practical things that many aren't learning at home. I didn't just learn how to "cook and sew," but so much more. These are just some of the classes that I had to take:
-Home and Family Management
-Introduction to Foods
-Meal Management
-Food Science
-Essentials of Human Nutrition
-Clothing Construction I (in which we made a women's button up shirt)
-Clothing Construction II (in which we made a mens long sleeve plaid shirt, pants with a fly, pencil skirt with an invisible zipper, learned how to be perfectionists in quilting)
-Fashion Merchandising
-Fundamentals of Fashion Design
-Textiles
-Money Management
- Interior Design
-History and Philosophy of Education
-Education Psychology
-Chemistry
-Early Childhood Practicum (In which I, with a team of 6 girls, taught preschool 2 times a week)
Plus other classes on teaching, as well as generals.
It irritates me when people stereotype my degree into something that is "easy" or a "cop-out", when they would have no idea how to sew the shirt that they are wearing, how to cook the meal that they are eating, or how to manage their time, home, or money effectively. I am not saying that this is everyone, sometimes I do get respect and people ask me more because they are genuinely interested, but not all of the time. I was asking Jared the other day if he thought my major was all fluff, and he went on to explain that he remembers all of the projects I have told him about plus was there for my last semester on campus as well as my student teaching.
I am not saying I am a master of all of the things above, sure I forget sometimes what kind of a table leg, or shirt sleeve, what the rule of 72 is in investing, which theorist is which in education psychology, but then when I take a second to look it up I remember and understand WHY.
I am thankful for those who think that what I studied in college is interested and worthwhile. Who realize that I actually worked hard for my grades and graduated with my associates Magna Cum Laude, and with my bachelors degree Summa Cum Laude. The only A- that I received in college was in Chemistry and I worked my behind off with the tutor before every test to be one of the few in my class who even got an A.
So I once again I thank those who ask questions and don't stereotype. I am thankful for my family and husband who supported me in my choice in education, were there for me every step of the way. I am thankful for BYU-Idaho and the amazing teachers that I had many many classes with in my major. To them I owe much, but I can only give back through helping educate others.
Enjoy the Journey.

1 comment:
Sheila said...
Kara you rock and we love you! I only know part of the hard work that you have done in the last 3 and 1/2 years! You amaze me with your knowledge and abilities! Nothing about this degree has been easy and you deserve RESPECT for what you have accomplished! LOVE MOM AND DAD!
Post a Comment